||Ramsey Library Services
What is ABC Express?
ABC (Asheville, Boone, Cullowhee) Express is a document delivery service operated by
the libraries of Appalachian State University, UNC-Asheville, and Western Carolina
University. It is available only to students, faculty and staff of these three
institutions. If you need a book, journal or other library material that is not held in
your library, you may be able to obtain it through ABC Express. If one of the other two
libraries owns the item, ABC Express can usually have it for you within three days.
ABC Express is not the same as Interlibrary Loan
Through Interlibrary Loan, you can request books or photocopies
of journal articles from
other libraries across the nation. These requests will take a considerably longer time to
(usually around two weeks). To request a book or photocopy of an article through Ramsey
Library's Interlibrary Loan service, fill out the appropriate request form at the
Research Support Desk, or use our Interlibrary Loan Web forms.
ABC request deadlines
|3 p.m. Tuesday
||4 p.m. Wednesday
|3 p.m. Thursday
||4 p.m. Friday
|5 p.m. Sunday
||4 p.m. Monday
Pick up requested material at the Circulation Desk.
This schedule may vary
during Holidays and Intersessions.
You may place online orders for books and bound or microform journals.
To request current (loose) issues of journals, get a pink order form at
the Research Support Desk.
You may check out books, but journals must be used in house and go back on the next van.
To order books & bound or microform journals
- Find the book or journal in the library catalog and display the full record.
- Verify that the status box shows "NOT CHK'D OUT".
- Click the Request button, then fill in the form with your name, ID
number (as it appears on your ID card) and pickup location.
- On the next screen, confirm that the copy you want is checked. For journals, you will
need to scroll through the list of available volumes to find the one you want.
- Click Submit. If you want another journal volume, go back to step 2.
- If the request went through, the catalog will display a Confirmation
message. If you do not see a confirmation notice, the request did not go through, and you
will need to go back and try again.
To order current journal issues or nonbook materials
- Complete a pink ABC request form in bold, dark ink. Forms are available at the Research Support
- Indicate which school owns the journal. Note that ASU and WCU do not assign call
numbers to periodicals.
- If a journal, indicate that it is Current (loose, unbound).
- NO ABBREVIATIONS! Lengthy journal titles can be continued into space below blocks
designated for title.
- Request only one current issue per request form.
Other patron information
- All materials are to be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- No notification will be sent. It is up to you to pick up requested materials.
- Loan period for books is 3 weeks, renewals allowed.
- Journals are to be used in-house only, and will be returned on the next ABC Express run;
no renewals allowed.
- $.20 per day overdue fine on all materials.
Top of document
UNCA / Ramsey